Having a new puppy is like having a new born, You have to take care of him, love him, feed him and the most important thing is teaching him, a new puppy need just that, so make sure your new pooch learns these essential life lessons: (Don’t miss the Step Number 1, its the most important Step)
1- First & Foremost: How To Train your puppy the bathroom rules
kindness and remembering that your new puppy is just learning the rules is very important, don’t be hard on your puppy, be patient and forgiving. Even if your dog poop inside the house, don’t punish him, just show your puppy that you are upset and say “Now, don’t do that again”, then take him outside.Don’t forget to clean the spot and make sure the smell is gone, so he don’t smell it, and do his business again in the same spot or near it.
Make sure to take your puppy outside more often than he have to, and keep an eye on him, once he begin to poop, you have to start encouraging him “Good Boy, Good Boy”, and give him a reward once he finish (make sure to take some food with you – this won’t be a life time habit, you won’t do that when he become familiar with doing it outside). Keep repeating the same thing for the first weeks until he start going outside by itself.
Note: You can use the same technique to teach him poop wherever you want, outside, the bathroom, a special box, or a specific spot in the garden.
2- Teach your new puppy to stay in/ and love the Crate
Training your new puppy is the best way to help him love its new house, after training your lovely puppy to poop outside, you can let him run and play inside the house, but first you have to provide him its own house, a crate will do a great job. “Why a crate”, When letting the puppy walk freely inside the house, he might get bored and dogs becomes creative when they feel bored, therefore they will try new things, means ripping up your furniture, chewing your shoes and clothes. So it’s better to train your puppies to love their own crates, and to do that, all you need to do is following the next steps:
- Give them a big reward every time they get inside the crate.
- A favorite Toy: every puppy have a special and favorite toy to play with, don’t give them that toy unless they get inside the crate.
- At first your puppy may not like the crate, and he’s gonna choose to be with you, just put him inside the crate and sleep near to him in order to help him feel secure and comfortable.
Its just a matter of a few days and They will learn to love their crates and then you can leave them alone, as long as you don’t be late.
3- Train your new puppy how to sit
Walking toward foreigners, jumping on visitors or on the table during meal times, Chasing cars and motorcycles, these are the habits of new puppies. To prevent your new puppy from doing them, you have to train your puppy to sit. The Word “Sit” is a very powerful command, also “Come” & “Stay”, in order to teach your puppy how to obey your commands follow the following steps:
- Puppies get distracted easily, so you have at first to select a quiet environment, such as the backyard or a garden.
- Avoid training your puppy where there is people, cars, and noise, because its difficult to catch your puppy’s attention and keep him focus during the training.
- Make sure to take some of your puppy’s favorite food to use it as a reward.
- Put the reward in your hand, show it to your puppy and allow him to smell it, but make sure you move your hand away rapidly so he don’t nip the reward.
- Keep the reward close to your puppy’s head and make sure to catch his eyes attention, then say the word “Sit” and if your puppy’s bottom isn’t yet reaching the ground, just keep saying the word “Sit” and gently push his back toward the ground to help him sit.
- Once your puppy’s bottom reach the ground, reward him with a big smile and a happy face, and say “Good Boy, Good Boy”.
- Take an other treat and let him see it again, then walk a few steps away from him, then show it to him again and say “Come” once he reach you, repeat the above steps, until he sits down and reward him.
- You can use these steps to teach your puppy how to “Stay” and “Come”.
Make sure to feel good when you reward your lovely puppy, because he can feel your emotions, and that’s will help him understand you in the future. Don’t be hard on him, be patient, and after few times training him to sit using the treats, he will end up obeying your commands without rewards.
4- How to Train your new puppy to walk on a leash
Your Puppy must love you and stick with you, not the opposite, you don’t want him to follow whoever he meets, running towards traffic or to get hit by a car. In order to keep him safe and make him stick with you and run away from other people or dangerous places, you have to keep him always close to you, and that’s why using a leash is the most effective way to achieve that. Leash training can be difficult, because dogs feels uncomfortable when they are leashed. But luckily they can be trained to get used to a leash, so Here is the Best steps to Train your new puppy to walk on a leash:
- Putting a collar on his neck : Be careful when you try putting a collar on your puppy’s neck the first time, he may not understand what you are doing, so start with rubbing his head an give him an occasional treat to reward him for being kind, show him the collar and let him smell it and even bite it. be gentle when putting the collar around his neck, and when its done, give him a big reward saying “Good Boy, you such a wonderful puppy”, show him that you are happy. You want your puppy to love wearing the collar, so take it off, show it to him, and get it back to his neck, and reward him again. (you can do this 3 or 4 times).
- Get him used to be familiar and comfortable with the collar, and the leash: This is a very important step, you shouldn’t take you puppy for a walk directly after putting the leash around his neck. First you need to help him feel comfortable, and all you need to do is letting him pull the leash around the house while its linked to his collar. Don’t pull it, just let him explore the new change. The goal is helping your puppy love the leash and not hate it.
- Start with a short training session: Don’t forget the main goal, helping your puppy to be comfortable with the leash, so don’t expect your puppy to like a long leash training session, that’s why you should take him for a short walk inside the house or in the backyard. Take the leash and start applying the training Number 5 (Train your new puppy how to “sit”, “stay” “come”). Yes giving your puppies rewards every time they do what you tell them is the most effective way to let them obey your commands while the leash around their necks. If your puppy wont move, don’t pull the leash, that’s may hurt him, and he may end hating it and start biting it. Just move a few steps away from him while holding the leash and put a treat in your hand, then call him with a happy face, once he came to you, reward him “always use the phrase (Good Boy, You such a Good Boy), Repeat it 3 or 4 times, then try it without a treat. That’s all for this session, take the leash off and let the collar on his neck, because you want him to be always familiar with the collar.
- Final Step: After a few leash training sessions in the house or backyard, its time to take your puppy outside, make sure to keep him close to you at first, and give him time to do his business outside, don’t pull the leash, just be patient with him, you wont face these problems in the future, just be happy with him even if he start disobeying your commands, use treats outside too, to catch his attention and focus. Make sure its not a long walk.
Time and Patience are the most important element that you must have when owning a puppy, don’t let anger control your actions and reactions, and loving your puppy unconditionally is whats gonna help you train him successfully.
5- How to train your new puppy to stop biting YOU
Pups like to bite a lot while their teethes grow in and they don’t know how hard their tiny bites can be. Puppies are naturally playing with mouthing and biting, But as they start growing and their teethes and canines become sharper and stronger, and the tiny bites turns into big and uncomfortable bites and even dangerous bites sometimes. Your lovely puppy should learn how to stop biting you, and how to gently play with you using his mouth and teethes, and also learning how to take treats from your hands with gentle and ease. As we’ve said previously, the best way to train your dog is using treats as rewards, in this case too, we will start by teaching your puppy to understand the do’s and the don’ts. The action that will get him a treat and the action that will get him nothing. Please follow the next steps to learn how to train your new puppy to stop biting you:
When he will get a treat, and when he will not get it: Once you new puppy start biting you, bring a treat and hold it in your hand and close your hand to cover the treat, no matter how hard your puppy is trying to reach the treat, even if he start to paw or bite your hand, just don’t let him get it and say this word “No! Back and Sit” at that very moment you have to show him that you are not happy when he bites you, keep an eye on him, and once he’s mouth comes away from your hand, that’s the moment when you will show a big smile in your face and you will give him a big reward while saying “Good Boy, You such a Good Boy”. (Repeat it 3 or 4 times) Your new puppy must learn that the only way he’s gonna get a treat is to stop biting and move away from your hand.
The threshold of your puppy’s bite: Playing is an amazing way to build a strong relationship between you and your puppy, and since you puppy isn’t allowed to play with you using biting , then you need to teach you new puppy how to play with toys instead of your hand, but before doing that, it’s better to train him to control the bite and decrease its pressure, and to do that the right way, you should let him know when he’s hurting you. Let your dog play with your hand using his mouth, and once your puppy start biting and it’s hurting, say the word “OUCH!!! No” to make him stop, and don’ pull your hand rapidly, just say “No, Stop” and let him continue playing, if he’s not hurting you, that’s okey just keep silent, if he start hurting you make sure to make a sound “OUCH!!!” every time you feel his teethes, that will let him understand that whenever he bites you yell at him, and he will know his bite threshold.
Playing with Toys: You puppy should know that your skin isn’t for biting, but since puppies need something to bite as long as their teethes and canines grow in. Here when you have to use toys to make your new puppy understand this: “If You wanna bite use Toys”, whenever your puppy start to jump trying to reach your hands or start biting your legs or furniture, grab a toy, say “No, No” and put the toy inside between his teethes, once he starts biting the toy, give him a reward. (Just repeat this whenever you see him biting the furniture or you or a family member. Your puppy must understand that if he want to bite, then he should seek for his toys.
Important: Every Family member that plays with your puppy must practice the Steps of “how to train your new puppy to stop biting”.